To be honest, the entire Metal Gear Solid series is pretty bad for women being objectified for no apparent reason. You’ve got:
(Spoiler Warning for the entire series)
- Meryl’s ass. (seriously)
- Sniper Wolf wearing an open jacket in the middle of a snowfield.
- EVA (though that is subverted in one of the R1 cutscene segments, so I’ll give them a little credit for setting that up)
- Naomi Hunter in MGS4 showing off her boobs in what is supposedly a serious scene (for the entire game)
- The entire Boobies and the Beast regiment. They added jiggle physics to PTSD sufferers. If they hadn’t had done that, I would have been a bit more forgiving here as “Fetishising War” is like a minor theme in MGS4, more should have been done with it in less hamfisted ways. Because what the hell. I could write an entire article on how the B&TB bit was incredibly weird and off the mark.
- Zooming in on panties in Peace Walker. (several instances)
And countless others I’ve probably missed.
(End Spoiler Warning)
I love the MGS series, but it’s got a way to go before it’s not going to age into that creepy bigoted uncle you don’t want to visit. I find it really jarring when I’m playing one of the games and suddenly, more fanservice appears whilst it’s trying to be serious. Stop that, character designer! The characters are trying to think about big things like war and humanity, don’t put their boobs on display! Their boobs don’t have any opinion on this!
So I’m expecting Quiet to be 10% Kojima Trying To Make A Point And Kind Of Getting In The Region But Missing The Mark, and 90% WOO BOOBIES. Because if he has one weakness, it’s that he can’t deal with a woman without dealing with her body.